This privacy statement tells you how we collect and use information. The Shire of Harvey values the privacy of its customers and stakeholders, and views the protection of an individual’s privacy as an integral part of its commitment towards complete accountability and integrity in all its activities and programs. This privacy statement outlines how we deal with your personal information.
Collection of personal information
The Shire of Harvey collects information about its customers and stakeholders in the performance of its services and functions and as required by law.
The Shire of Harvey maintains a database of properties within the Shire, which includes personal information relating to property owners such as names, addresses, and also records of any complaints and enquiries related to a property.
Personal information is also collected when you give it to us, for example:
- When you join one of the Shire of Harvey services or facilities (libraries, Recreation Centre etc).
- Through correspondence, communication and service requests.
- When you register for an event or program.
Collecting through our websites
Where our websites allow you to make comments or give feedback we collect your email address and sometimes other contact details. We may use your contact details to respond to your feedback.
Some services and functions on Shire of Harvey websites are delivered and hosted by third parties. These services have their own privacy policies, so when you choose to use these functions, the personal information you provide will be used and stored in accordance with their privacy policies.
Cookies and website analytics
The information collected by these tools may include the IP address of the device you are using and information about sites that IP address has come from, the pages accessed on our site and the next site visited. We use the information to maintain, secure and improve our websites and to enhance your experience when using them. In relation to Google Analytics you can opt out of the collection of this information using the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
The Shire of Harvey uses social media sites to share and promote its services and functions. When you communicate with us using these services we may collect your personal information, but we only use it to help us to communicate with you and the public. The social networking service will also handle your personal information for its own purposes. These sites have their own privacy policies.
Email addresses, telephone numbers
We collect your email addresses, telephone numbers (mobile and landline), address(es) and, sometimes other contact details, for the purposes of contacting you as a ratepayer or resident, when you log a request with the Shire or when you subscribe to services. We use this information for the purpose of communicating with you in regard to Council business, such as rates, debts, complaints, for sending you updates on the activities of the particular service, conducting surveys for ongoing research and development of our services, and to administer contact lists.
Public internet services
Shire of Harvey monitors the use our public wi-fi network and the public computers at our libraries in order to maintain security and to prevent or detect criminal or unauthorised use of the Shire’s computer hardware, software, network or systems.
Disclosure and use of personal information
Any personal information collected by the Shire of Harvey will only be used for the purpose for which it has been collected, or for a purpose you would reasonably expect in carrying out the Shire’s activities and functions. Your information may also be used for ongoing research and development of our services.
The Shire will disclose customer and stakeholder information to third parties in the following circumstances only:
- To undertake market research for the Shire in which case the supplier is prohibited from using your personal information except to provide these services to the Shire of Harvey. The Shire has a robust procurement process and only engages reputable market research companies.
- If, on an application by a person for information under the Freedom of Information Act 1992, the Shire (or the Western Australian Information Commissioner on appeal), adjudges that disclosure of that personal information would on balance be in the public interest.
- As required by a court order.
- As otherwise required or authorised by law.
- In order to complete the purpose or function for which the information was provided.
- For collecting monies owed to the Shire.
- In the recovering of outstanding library materials or monies, through a contracted debt collection agency.
- Otherwise, only with the consent, express or implied, of the customer or stakeholder.
Information received by the Shire of Harvey is protected from unauthorised use and disclosure by virtue of specific provisions in the Crimes Act 1914, Public Service Act 1999 and the Public Service Regulations 1999.
The Shire of Harvey is committed to keeping secure the data you provide us. The Shire works actively to ensure that information about customers and stakeholders is stored securely and accessed for approved purposes only.
Access and correction
Requests for access to documents that are not publicly available and held by the Shire of Harvey are handled under the Freedom of Information Act 1992 and can be directed to:
Freedom of Information Officer
Shire of Harvey
PO Box 500
Harvey, WA 6220